Messrs M F and J C Cavanagh
(later Cavanagh and Cavanagh)
In 1891 Michael Francis Cavanagh (then 31) went into private practise, with branches of his business in Adelaide and, from 1895, Perth.
In 1895 his younger brother James Charles (then 21), completed his articles with Michael and entered into partnership with him under the name Messrs M F and J C Cavanagh. Within a few years they were known as Cavanagh and Cavanagh.
By 1897 they were the Roman Catholic Diocesan architects for Western Australia and responsible for the design of some of Perth’s grandest and most significant Catholic buildings, including Christian Brothers College on St George’s Terrace (1895), St Brigid’s Convent (1898), and the Redemptorist Monastery in North Perth (1903).
Non religious designs include the Great Western Hotel (now The Brass Monkey) in 1896, the Esplanade Hotel (1898), Perth Fire Station (1900), Foy & Gibson’s (1903).
Michael remained in Western Australia and died here in 1941.
James moved to Queensland in 1918 and established Cavanagh and Cavanagh in Brisbane. He spent most of the rest of his life there, retiring in his last years to Adelaide, where he died in 1957.